Pages

    Tuesday, August 24, 2010

    The Sweater Girl as Sylvia Plath


    August 24th, 2010 (well, it's the 24th in Asia) is the official release date of American Vogue's September issue. The funny thing is, I'm halfway around the world and I bought my issue on August 20th at HMV's Causeway Bay store in Hong Kong. Haha, so I already flipped through the entire magazine on the ride home.


    I actually was looking forward to buying Teen Vogue (even though I left my teens last month *sniff) because I generally like more youthful style in the magazine, but it wasn't out yet! Nonetheless, the September issue still had numerous delightful pages.

    My favorite spread was the Sweater Girl shoot featuring Lara Stone. Photographed by Mart Alas and Marcus Piggott, Grace Coddington once again works her magic in this very vintage elegance vibe photo shoot. Lots of fitted and oversized sweaters, over the knee length skirts, and Lara's blonde hair in perfect sleek curls.

    Photo Credits: FashionGoneRogue






    I have to first say, I'm not really a Lara Stone fan. But I think I should take that back now because this really shows how Lara is a great model: she can be anything you make her be! She's edgy, and there's something about those eyebrows that make her different. What I also got from this shoot was a very Sylvia Plath-esque feeling to it. It's as if Grace Coddington had Sylvia Plath in mind when she was styling the shoot (I'm only guessing).

    Although Sylvia Plath was a poet and author and not a style icon, I could see this as very "Sylvia." Gwyneth Paltrow starred in a movie as Plath, Sylvia; but after watching bits of it on a movie channel, I turned the tv off because it just made Sylvia Plath seem like some psycho and not the amazing writer that she was. Mostly recognized for her poetry, Sylvia Plath also published one novel, The Bell Jar, which I read last summer. Yes, she's pessimistic and suicidal but she's only human. In her book, I got this feeling that she was explaining why she needed to commit suicide, due to her experiences and her despair over the future. And no offense to anyone, but isn't she actually quite reasonable at times?


    Sorry that this has turned it a extensive lesson on literature! I didn't know I'd ramble on for so long! Well, here's the end of this entry. I'll end it with one of my favorite quotes by Sylvia Plath. And really, fashionistas need to start making her iconic. Like Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly, and Jane Birkin! One day, maybe I'll design a bag or shirt and name it "the Sylvia."

    Haha, I'll keep dreaming.
    Delilah

    "From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and off-beat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn’t quite make out.

    I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig-tree, starving to death, just because I couldn’t make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet."
    -Sylvia Plath in "The Bell Jar"
     


    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    VanillaChymes © 2010